6/01/2015

Cat Callers are Attention Seeking Monkeys

I was just having a pleasant time yesterday walking home from work when all of a sudden, these guys hanging outside an auto repair shop were saying "Hi idol.", "Hi miss", "Regards ko."as I was passing by. In the Philippines, saying those things is an equivalent to a cat call.

Without even thinking or looking at these ignorant, small-minded buffoons that like to call themselves men, I raised my middle finger up. I could hear them laughing and I was just there resuming to walk, feeling liberated. Behind those laughs, I could sense a desperation to be noticed. These men who catcalled me were probably not used to having a woman respond to their insensitive remarks so in order to mask the pain of being embarrassed, they just laughed.

I wasn't particularly in a bad mood at the time which was why I was surprised that I reacted that way. I usually don't do anything about catcalls. I try to ignore them and hopefully, me not acknowledging the catcallers existence is enough insult but something in my subconscious must have triggered me to do that. I probably have had enough which resulted in my reacting that way.  Hmm.. I don't know. I'm probably overthinking this little incident but it made me think about the issue again.

I hate that this behavior is still pervasive in the society that I live in. Most Filipinas (like me) would rather ignore a catcaller than confront them. And because of this passive behavior, men who catcall think it's okay so they continue doing it anyway which in turn results in more women being harassed by these monkeys.

Argh!!!

It just angers me when I think about it.  I'm discerning on what I should do about this. I'm thinking I should confront these catcallers but I'm not so sure how I should do it. In the meantime, I want this post to be a reminder to all women that street harassment is not fucking OK, okay? If you can gather the courage to call these monkeys out on their bullshit, please do. But as always, be careful. You never know what these monkeys are capable of.

And for you men, don't even think about succumbing to this level of idiotic behavior. Before you open your mouth to drop an unsolicited comment to the woman passing by the street, remember that you came from your mom's vagina. If you're going to throw out a remark on a woman in public as if she's some piece of meat that you own, you are basically insulting your mom's gender. Don't you love your mom? You do? Okay. Then stop being an asshole and keep your pervy comments to yourself.

I am so fired up aren't I? I'll go to my own little space and try to calm down now. Ommmmmmmmm..

No comments:

Post a Comment